Berndt Wilde was born in 1946 in Mildensee near Dessau (Saxony-Anhalt). From 1965 to 1970 he studied sculpture at the Academy of Art in Dresden. In 1974 he moved to East Berlin, where he was a master student of Werner Stötzer from 1980 to 1983 at the Academy of Arts of the GDR. In the early 1990s he taught at the Weissensee University of the Arts in Berlin and the University of Arts in Berlin. From 1993 to 2014 he was professor of sculpture in Weissensee. Wilde lives and works in Berlin.