Erich Fritz Reuter was born in 1911 in Berlin. From 1934 to 1940 he studied at the University of the Fine Arts in Berlin. From 1952 to 1978 he became professor of sculpture at the University of Applied Science, West Berlin. In 1953 he received the first Prize of the Association of German Art Critics. Many commissions for works in public spaces abroad ensued. From 1966 to 1968 he was visiting professor at the University of Applied Science in Istanbul. Reuter died in Altenkrempe (Schleswig-Holstein) in 1997.